As a small start-up, 3Helix is looking for highly motivated and driven personnel to join a diverse, yet close-knit team. As a key member of the research and development team at 3Helix, the Research Scientist I is primarily responsible for synthesizing and maintaining 3Helix’s platform technology, collagen hybridizing peptides (CHPs). They will be responsible for independently synthesizing, purifying, and maintaining all 3Helix commercially available products. They will have opportunities to aid the research team on in-house research and development/production of a library of bioactive CHPs for modulating collagen production in cell lines. They should have a proven track record in general laboratory practices, analytical techniques, critical thinking, and troubleshooting. HPLC purification and peptide synthesis experience is a huge plus. This individual will play a fundamental role as part of our team focused on manufacturing and quality control as well as aiding in the design and execution of experiments, data analysis, and troubleshooting experiments or equipment. Additional responsibilities include learning cell culture aseptic techniques, tissue staining, and ex vivo binding experiments.
55% Maintaining several CHP product stocks for commercial sale at once. This involves peptide synthesis, HPLC purification, mass spectrometry verification, quality control, histology, and stock management/organization. You will be responsible for managing all reagents and raw materials required for peptide synthesis to limit downtime in production.
25% Aid in performing CHP cell culture experiments, assays, or procedures with input and direction from the CTO, scientists, and outside collaborators. Aid in operational planning and execution from experimental design to implementation of ex vivo or in vitro experiments. Analyze and interpret results, systems, or procedures; troubleshoot assays or procedures and make changes as appropriate.
10% Work in a team-focused collaborative environment which requires effective time management, communication, and dependability. Interpret and effectively communicate scientific findings in one-on-one discussions, departmental and functional meetings.
10% Assume project leader responsibility and independently design and conduct R&D experiments, assays, or procedures of considerable complexity. Ensure that laboratory notebooks are consistently updated, audited, and well maintained. Read and present on scientific literature to keep up with current trends in the field.
The Research Scientist I has limited financial accountability for peptide synthesis consumables and reagents. The Research Scientist I will provide an itemized list of expenses to their supervisor for every order request for approval.
This position interacts with all levels of the organization on a regular basis to listen, contribute scientifically and present recent work. The Research Scientist I is able to effectively collaborate with a fully integrated team to facilitate the success of projects. The Research Scientist I should be highly motivated and driven while being able to work in a diverse team setting. This position should be able to work with minimal supervision once fully trained.
PROBLEM SOLVING/DECISION MAKING
As members of the Research and Development Team, the Research Scientist I will mainly be responsible for manufacturing CHP Research Use Only product line as well as synthesizing novel peptides for internal research purposes. They will have opportunities to work on complex and compelling problems within the collagen and cellular biology fields while applying innovative solutions. This individual will help support R&D for others by providing pure peptides. They should have experience taking systematic approaches to troubleshooting experiments and any interesting results and be able to explain the steps to resolve any issues. Additionally, they should have experience adapting protocols from literature to design experiments specifically suited for our in-house research projects.
Individual contributor. Potential to grow into a team lead position as more scientists and lab technicians are hired.
Education and Experience:
· A Master’s degree degree is required; Degrees in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, chemistry, biomaterials, bioengineering, pharmaceutics/pharmaceutical sciences, or other related science related field are strongly preferred.
· Experience may be considered in lieu of educational requirements.
· 2-5 years of experience in a laboratory setting. (Required)
· Basic laboratory skills and knowledge of laboratory safety. (Required)
· Proven track record of completing complex independent research projects with minimal instruction. (Required)
- Experience performing calculations necessary for determining concentration or molarity of solutions, performing dilutions, titrations, etc. (Required)
- Familiarity using laboratory equipment such as hand-held pipettors, hemacytometer or automated cell counters, plate-readers, UV/Vis Spectrometry, centrifuges, etc. (Required)
· Strong interpersonal skills to include active listening, critical thinking, and problem solving. Ability to apply these skills at all levels and in diverse settings. (Required)
· Excellent written and oral communication skills. (Required)
· Ability to maintain and effectively deal with highly confidential matters. (Required)
· Highly organized and ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a deadline driven environment. (Required)
· Experience reading scientific literature and translating techniques or protocols into practice. (Required)
- Experience with cell culture and aseptic techniques. (Preferred)
- Experience with histology and immunohistochemistry. (Preferred)
· Experience in or knowledge of peptide synthesis and HPLC purification. (Highly Preferred) Willingness to learn this essential skill for the position.
Physical Demands/Working Environment
Typical laboratory environment, hazardous materials are present, so lab safety is enforced, and PPE is required. Lifting up to 50 lbs. may be required on occasion. Office environment includes 3Helix team members as well as other companies in the incubator space, therefore good people skills and maintaining organized workspace are highly encouraged.
- $60,000-$70,000 salary range. Based on experience
- 3Helix observes 10 major US holidays
- Unlimited paid time off (PTO) (after probation)
- Flex scheduling (after probation)
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (after probation)
- Company stock options
- Potential travel for conferences